Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Winter Colors

Today I woke up and thought it was raining outside, except it wasn’t quite rain because it looked as if it was falling a bit slower. As the morning progressed, sure enough it wasn’t raining, it was snowing! And it didn’t stop, it snowed the whole day. Trees became outlined with white, the ground became blanketed with powder, and the mountainsides started to blend in with the white/grayish sky. The students were particularly cheery today, and it was clear from teaching class that they’re mind wasn’t 100% focused on learning today, but on the powdery snow outside. After class, snowballs were thrown and playful laughter filled the air. But today’s weather also had its inconveniences. For one, it was the coldest I’ve felt here and my double socks were not getting the job done. Luckily, Principal Zhang brought a foot heater for me to use at my desk and her mom bought me some comfy warm slipper shoes. The students also had to take extra precautions, and when stepping outside or lining up to go into the cafeteria, they all had to carry umbrellas or they’re bamboo hats. There’s something about the sight of sixty 7-8 year olds lining up outside and all carrying big umbrellas or wearing bamboo hats as big as their bodies that makes being here so special.

The day afterward stopped snowing but snow still covered everything. So naturally, a big snow ball fight broke out after lunch on the field. Unfortunately, it was me vs. 100 plus students and I got pummeled left and right. These students were merciless and some found the hardest snow and stood right next to me and threw it directly at my head. These students ended up being tackled and forced to eat snow. USA! USA!











No comments:

Post a Comment