Monday, October 25, 2010

Middle of Nowhere

Besides being surrounded by no civilization and farmlands, what would signal that I am in the middle of nowhere? Well, let me tell you. I knew coming here that I would see more bugs than what I’m used to back home in the city. I even brought American-strength mosquito repellent, and sure enough, when I first moved into my room, I killed 2 mosquitoes. But after the heat and humidity started to wade away into the Fall, mosquitoes were not a major issue. But little did I know I would encounter something so terrifyingly different last night.

So there I was, sitting in my room watching a movie on my computer. I had just taken a shower a moment ago after our usual Manual Skills class. As I was sitting peacefully on my chair, I felt a little itch near my left ear and went to scratch it. Suddenly, a pain so sharp brought me out of my chair and made me shout as if someone severed my ear off. I quickly took my shirt off and bent over to brush my head. And guess what fell down right in front of me. Nope, not a spider, but a squirming, 3 inch centipede! I was in panic mode and could not believe something so creepy had just been crawling near my ear. I quickly got a napkin and smashed it, but the little *$@* kept on squirming. My kill/revenge mode instinct turned on and with a mighty grunt, I raised my arm and hammered it with all the strength I had. I pounded on it again and again just to make sure. It was dead, but I was still in shock, scared, and in a lot of pain. It felt like someone branded the back of my ear. I was scared that maybe more bugs were on me as I checked frantically, but even more scared that my life suddenly turned into a horror movie. It took awhile to get back down to earth, and if I didn’t realize before that I was no longer in civilization anymore, that centipede definitely reminded me. All part of the experience I guess, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment